Re: getting item information in an export filter?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: getting item information in an export filter?
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 17:05:07 +0100

Hello,

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> In
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/55231/org-mode-export-html-add-name-attirbute-to-checkbox-input
>
> there was a question about modifying a checkbox export. I wrote an answer
> using a custom translate function in a derived backend, where I could get
> the name of the parent list pretty easily.
>
> It seems like that should also be possible in a filter, but I don't
> understand how to find the parent list in that case. I think it is buried
> in the info.
>
> Is there a general way to get to the org-element information for something
> in an export filter function?

No, there's no simple way to access the element. Filters, with a few
exceptions, are meant to operate on strings, not on the parse tree. They
are usual meant as a simple way to transform the output. I.e., they are
intentionally dumbed down.

You could however, use the parse-tree filter to modify the parse tree
before export.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou