Re: A few changes to test in master

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: A few changes to test in master
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 23:47:37 -0800

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> - M-x org-table-electric-header-mode RET will display the first row
>   of the table at point in the header line when the first row is not
>   visible anymore.

This is great, it's a huge quality-of-life improvement for working with
long tables. Below are some issues I noticed when playing with it.

Major issues:

The variable `org-table-header-line-p' doesn't seem to have any effect
for me, I find that I need to call "M-x org-table-header-line-mode" even
when it's set.

Also, "M-x org-table-header-line-mode" seems to activate the minor mode
globally, despite a message suggesting it is only activated in the
current buffer. Maybe because we use "defvar" instead of "defvar-local"
to define its variable?

I tried replacing the "defvar" with "defvar-local", it seemed to fix the
global activation of the minor mode, but still it seems the hooks added
are still active in other org buffers. So if I activate the mode in
buffer A, then view a long table in buffer B, I see the table header
when scrolling through it, even though the mode isn't active in B.

Minor issues:

If I am in a table, and scroll-up-command brings me out of the table,
then the header of the table still sits on top of the window immediately
after scrolling. This gets fixed as soon as any action is taken
(e.g. moving the cursor or hitting C-g).

It would be nice if the header row was a little more visually
distinguishable from the other table rows (maybe by adding an underline
to that row?)

Feature request (for Org 9.5?):

It would be great if an analogous feature could be added for the
left-most column of a table, so if a table is very wide, and I scroll to
the right, I could still see which row index I'm in.