Re: Bug: org-element-at-point on headline does not contain :parent prope

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Bug: org-element-at-point on headline does not contain :parent property [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 13:55:52 +0100

Hello,

Ihor Radchenko <address@hidden> writes:

>> Probably the docstring needs to be adapted - Nicolas knows this area
>> better than me.
>
> Do you mean that :parent property may not always be present?

`org-element-at-point' returns only a partial parse tree. It never goes
higher than the current top-level element, i.e., from an element, you
cannot go up to the headline just following :parent.

Luckily, headlines are exactly where you do _not_ need Element library.
`org-back-to-heading' and `org-up-heading-safe' will always be faster,
and as accurate. I.e., the code operating on headlines is usually
distinct from the code handling other elements.

> If so, it is quite disappointing. It would be helpful to be able to find
> parent of any element at point (especially, in conjunction with
> org-element-cache). At least, optionally.

You can parse the full document and get all the :parent properties
filled. That's not the job for `org-element-at-point'.

> I was counting on this feature to try speeding up my agenda generation
> (using org-element-cache).

Note that `org-element-cache' was disabled a while ago because it could
introduce freezes. I think this is related to how this part handles
`before-change-functions' and `after-change-functions'. Anyway, YMMV.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou