How to intersperse commands with their output in RESULTS block?

From: Diego Zamboni
Subject: How to intersperse commands with their output in RESULTS block?
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 18:25:39 +0100

Hi everyone,

tl;dr: is there a way to have ob-shell (or some similar mode) run commands one by one and include the commands, interspersed with their output, in the #+RESULTS block?

I would like to have examples shown with commands, followed by their output. Something like this:

#+begin_src console
> echo "hi"
hi
> echo "bye"
bye
#+end_src

This works well for my use case - "console" blocks are understood nicely by Pygmentize as containing both commands and output.

What I would like is to start using org-babel to run the commands and insert their output in the export, so that I can update the examples without having to copy-paste from the terminal. So what I would like is to have something like this:

#+begin_src sh :exports results :wrap "src console"
echo "hi"
echo "bye"
#+end_src

And when I evaluate the block with C-c C-c, I get:

#+results:
#+begin_src console
> echo "hi"
hi
> echo "bye"
bye
#+end_src

Before I start building my own, ob-mode I was wondering if anyone knows of any existing way to achieve this.

Thanks!
--Diego