Re: org-startup-truncated default should be nil [legibility 2/6]

From: Texas Cyberthal
Subject: Re: org-startup-truncated default should be nil [legibility 2/6]
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 20:09:57 +0800

No, I just didn't repeat everything.

A blank line is useful, yes. Use of demi-paragraphs implies use of
line breaks to signal stronger transitions. E.g., from my recent
workflow:

#+begin_quote
turning the mic off/on manually also causes a pop
so would need to pause recording first
simpler to just leave the mic on then
fair enough.
[2020-02-05 Wed 08:47]

seems I'm suffering from electet mic pop
which can be solved by adding a capacitor and resistor to the circuit?
[2020-02-05 Wed 08:52]

http://www.discovercircuits.com/H-Corner/popfree%20micophone%20switch.htm
pop-free microphone switch

could sample out the sound in audacity easily
#+end_quote

Single line breaks allow preservation of the chronological sequence of
thoughts, which is useful for e.g. debugging false assumptions.

The above was a simple example with short lines. But if they were long
and complex, vanilla Emac's defaults would make paragraph navigation
difficult.

> For writing and for intra-paragraph navigation, what is necessary beyond
> visual-line-mode, next-line (C-n, <down>), forward-word (M-f), forward
> sentence (M-e), and forward-paragraph (M-}), and equivalent for opposite
> direction?

What vanilla Emacs Org default visual-line-mode is missing for
informal prose notes:
- recognize sentences with a single space after terminal punctuation
- word wrap
- more line spacing and a variable pitch font
- denote single line breaks with the absence of continuation marks, as
truncate lines nil does
- C-a/e begin/end of line should still operate on logical lines.

It's easier to achieve the last two points without visual line mode,
since line-move-visual is t by default. Toggling truncation off is
enough.

visual-line-mode's minor luxury of slightly easier navigation to
arbitrary visual line endpoints doesn't compensate for loss of the
critical ability to identify logical lines with single line breaks,
and the loss of keybinds for quick navigation to their endpoints.