Re: A few changes to test in master

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: A few changes to test in master
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 07:41:37 -0800

Hi Bastien,

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

>> The variable `org-table-header-line-p' doesn't seem to have any effect
>> for me, I find that I need to call "M-x org-table-header-line-mode" even
>> when it's set.
>
> Should be fixed now.

Confirmed, it works correctly for me now.

>> Also, "M-x org-table-header-line-mode" seems to activate the minor mode
>> globally
>
> Well, I tried various things and I didn't fix this one.  Perhaps this
> is due to the special display of the header line.  I will continue to
> look for a solution.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind if this were a global minor mode, I intend to
activate it globally with `org-table-header-line-p'.

>> If I am in a table, and scroll-up-command brings me out of the table,
>> then the header of the table still sits on top of the window immediately
>> after scrolling. This gets fixed as soon as any action is taken
>> (e.g. moving the cursor or hitting C-g).
>
> Yes, this happened to me sometimes.  I think I enhanced the situation
> a bit here, but I can't tell for 100% sure.  Please test and report.

Since updating and testing for a few minutes, I haven't noticed this
issue anymore. However, I have noticed a new bug, where the header line
randomly gets "stuck" on some row of the table, so even when I scroll
and that row is no longer on top of the buffer, that row is still
replaced by the header line.

This bug happens infrequently, and I haven't figured out how to
consistently reproduce yet. I noticed this happening when I was
scrolling up and down many times past the same table, and also switching
themes.

>> It would be nice if the header row was a little more visually
>> distinguishable from the other table rows (maybe by adding an underline
>> to that row?)
>
> Good idea, done - you can now customize the face:
>
> M-x customize-face RET org-table-header RET

Thanks. The default face looks great on light-themed backgrounds like
leuven, but is hard to read on some dark-themed backgrounds like
tsdh-dark or zenburn, due to their light text. While this could be left
to the user or individual themes to fix, it'd be nice if it worked out
of the box for the common dark themes. Maybe the simplest solution would
be to set both the background and foreground colors in the default face?