Re: Possible bug report: URL capitalization in online manual

From: Ori
Subject: Re: Possible bug report: URL capitalization in online manual
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 13:49:04 -0500

Hi Bastien,

Attached are the relevant URL aliases.

When I initially saw the issue I thought it was a matter of a change to the way the docs are built, not old vs new documentation. That makes the list I've attached a little tricky to maintain. Of course within emacs is the best way for a user to reach the documentation, but maybe a different approach for the web would be appropriate. Some ideas:

Versioned folders living side-by-side. That's done in some other projects like Django, CommonMark, Bootstrap. A script could go into files from the last version and indicate that these are docs for an older version of Org.

Keep aliasing. Require an alias added each time is removed or is renamed. The script here would be a check between versions. Seems like more friction both in creating the check and in requiring the aliases, though big rearranges don't seem to be the norm so perhaps it's not so bad.

Just leave it. The easy option!

Maybe there are others.

At any rate, thanks for your help.

Ori

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 2:56 PM Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Ori,

Ori <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not sure which repo this all lives in but I believe since
> information has been added to the paths, this should be easy. The
> other direction would be trickier and would need the old scheme.
>
> Wherever the current filename has capital letters after the first
> character, make an alias using the sentence-case version.
>
> Happy to take a stab at this if you can point me to the repo!

Thanks a lot for your help!

https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/ is where doc/org-manual.org
lives.

By exporting the manual with ~$ make html and bisecting from Org's
repository, you may find the list of aliases that I can add.

I searched nginx docs on how to make URL matching case-insensible:
from what I understand, you can rewrite a case-sensibility-ignored
URL to another URL, but you cannot completely ignore case-sensibility.

If I am wrong, please let me know.

--
 Bastien