Re: Bug or not a bug? dot expansion in ob-shell

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: Bug or not a bug? dot expansion in ob-shell
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2020 07:46:38 -0800

As someone who doesn't really use ob-shell, I've made too much noise in
this thread, and am intending this to be my last comment here...

I think it's a bad idea that ":results value", and not specifying
":results", give different behavior.

In my own Org-babel files, I usually have a header line like follows:

#+PROPERTY: header-args :results output

Which sets the default return value to ":results output". Then, I
manually specify ":results value" when I need that instead.

But if explicitly writing ":results value" is different than the
default, then it would no longer be possible to use this pattern
anymore.

I think it would be prudent to revert the change to ":results value"
before the release of 9.4. I think Tom makes a convincing case that
returning the exit code is not only wrong, but also disruptive to
existing users of ob-shell.