Re: Creating table of summarized org-mode result fields in column view "

From: Daryl Manning
Subject: Re: Creating table of summarized org-mode result fields in column view "report"
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 15:23:48 +0800

Thanks for the response. Very helpful.

I figured out since writing it rom light research on column view and the helpful column view video on the emacs site):

1. Parse the daily files to AST  (can do this now via a function)
2. Convert the "yaml-ed" fields to :PROPERTY: "drawer" fields (after looking at the Column video on the emacs website)
3. Dump to a temp buffer with the column definition somewhat like what you outlined ahead of it to render (though was not sure how to pass the fields dynamically, but figured could start with fixed)

However, I figured this has to be a common enough(ish) thing that people need to do that it might already been a code snippet function (or even a package) floating around. So, this was more a "does this look like a problem someone has already solved" and where is that package/code kinda question. =]   #lazyweb

Otherwise, I'll just wander off and attempt coding it myself over le weekend. =]

thanks!
Daryl.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:54 PM Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thursday, 12 Mar 2020 at 12:46, Daryl Manning wrote:
> Can anyone point me to something similar already? (and is this even
> possible with column view instead of say, turning it into an org-table
> within a buffer.

This would be straightforward if each of those entries were a
PROPERTY.  Then you can specify the properties to display in column view
along with their widths.  I do this for my todo list which is all in a
single org file.

You could define the columns along these lines:

#+columns: %60ITEM %this %that %50highlights

to show the contents.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.6-412-ge18415