Re: org-pop-mode

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-pop-mode
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 02:15:48 +0800

> Inline tasks seem to be limited to just body text; you
> can't put sub-headings inside them, etc.  Org-pop digressions can
> contain sub-headings and whatever other structure, even further
> digressions and "pop"s.  So that's something significant that inline
> headings lack.

Thanks for clarifying. Do you actually use this feature? It was hard for
me to come out with anything fitting my workflow.

I tried to play very little with org-pop just now. Generally it looks a
lot like inline tasks, but indeed a lot less integrated with standard
org features.

Some observations:
- the visual appearance looks same as normal org structure. While, as
you said, inline tasks are generally indented too much, the org-pop
approach shows little indication that "inline" headlines are actually
any different from normal org subheadings. Yes, you have cycling, but it
will not be really useful for entries having more than a screen full of
text. Probably, the "inline" headlines should be highlighted in some
way.
- refiling does not touch the :contd: heading
- org-metaright and similar functions mess up the :contd: part
- creating the :contd: headline feels too manual for me. A command to
create the :contd: headline would be useful, I think.
- Archiving does not work

In summary, my impression is that hacking the existing inlinetask
functionality to change visual appearance of inlinetasks (maybe less
indentation) and to allow subtasks could be easier if you really want to
integrate the whole thing with org-mode.

Best,
Ihor

--
Ihor Radchenko,