Re: Bug: org-table-insert-column edits formulas wrongly [9.3 (release_9.

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: Bug: org-table-insert-column edits formulas wrongly [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus/HEAD-9d38564/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/org/)]
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 23:38:37 +0200

Yu Han Quek <address@hidden> writes:

> Calling org-table-insert-column in a table with formulas wrongly increments
> the column number left of the newly inserted column.
>
> Minimal example:
>
> | 1 | 2 | 3 |
>
> #+TBLFM: $3=$1+$2
>
> With cursor in the `1` cell, call `M-x org-table-insert-column`.
>
> Expected output:
>
> | 1 |   | 2 | 3 |
>
> #+TBLFM: $4=$1+$3
>
> Actual output ($1 wrongly changed to $2):
>
> | 1 |   | 2 | 3 |
>
> #+TBLFM: $4=$2+$3
>
> The bug seems to be in the last 2 lines of the
> function org-table-insert-column:
>
>       (org-table-fix-formulas "$" nil (1- col) 1)
>       (org-table-fix-formulas "$LR" nil (1- col) 1)
>
> Changing `(1- col)` to `col` solves the issue.

Thanks.  I committed your fix with the TINYCHANGE marker.

I find it slightly suspicious that the documentation says

#v+
‘M-S-<RIGHT>’ (‘org-table-insert-column’)
     Insert a new column to the left of point position.
#v-

But actually the new column goes to the right and this is also fused by
the tests.  Has there been a stealth shift to the right?  Anyway, I
guess the documentation text should be updated as well.

Any objections or comments about this?

Ciao,
-- Marco