Statistic cookies for headings and list items

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Statistic cookies for headings and list items
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 21:31:48 +0200

Is this all intended behaviour?

When I start with ~C-c C-c~ on [ of line A, Org seems to count list items:

* [0/2] A
- [ ] B
- [ ] C
** DONE D

Then ~S-<left>~ on line D seems to count subheadings:

* [0/1] A
- [ ] B
- [ ] C
** TODO D

Then ~C-c C-c~ on [ of line A seems to count list items again:

* [0/2] A
- [ ] B
- [ ] C
** TODO D

Then ~C-c -~ on line D makes D a subitem which makes no sense to me:

* [0/2] A
- [ ] B
- [ ] C
  - [ ] D

But when I start with this:

#+STARTUP: indent
* [0/2] A
- [ ] B
- [ ] C
** TODO D

Then ~C-c -~ on line D makes D a sibling which I prefer to the above:

#+STARTUP: indent
* [0/2] A
- [ ] B
- [ ] C
- [ ] D

Except that the automatic update like ~C-c C-c~ on [ of line A is missing:

#+STARTUP: indent
* [0/3] A
- [ ] B
- [ ] C