Re: Bug: org-table-insert-column edits formulas wrongly [9.3 (release_9.

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: Bug: org-table-insert-column edits formulas wrongly [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus/HEAD-9d38564/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/org/)]
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 12:49:12 +0200

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> And I believe that a reasonable expectation is symmetry with inserting a
>> row.  The way I think of it is the arrow indicates to make space by
>> moving columns/rows in that direction.  Most spreadsheets work in this
>> way, in my experience (but I could be wrong).
>
> I understand now. Thanks.
>
> Then I agree with you, it would be better to change the behaviour
> instead of the documentation.

Okay, this is all understandable.

For the record: A few days ago I changed the documentation so that it's
in a consistent state with the current code.

Since the change has been in place since 2017 what's the right thing to
do?

- Wait a while for someone speaking out to keep the state as it is now?
  If nobody shows up, just change back to inserting to the left?

- Introduce a customizable variable for inserting to the left?

- Add a parameter to org-table-insert-column to control insertion
  left/right and possibly even the number of columns?

- Something else?

Best regards,
-- Marco