Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 21:17:28 -0400

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 7:17 PM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "Bruce D'Arcus" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Another question on the syntax.
> >
> > Does it support something like this in the pandoc syntax?
> >
> > Doe [-@doe19] argues ...
>
> No it doesn't. That seems reasonable to include. I add it to my TODO
> list.
>
> > The minus sign signals to suppress the author rendering, so that you
> > end up with:
> >
> > Doe (2019)
> >
> > ... instead of:
> >
> > Doe (Doe, 2019)
> >
> > I know latex works differently, but this is simple, and very flexible.
>
> Speaking of which, I read about the "citation modes", which may be
> preferred over "suppress author". What are these citation modes?

Pandoc's code for its citation modes is here

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/f2b337768e95c8903f65e597f7d8cd81938dacc3/src/Text/Pandoc/Readers/Org/Inlines.hs#L336

And the part that reflects its citation syntax looks to be this:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/f2b337768e95c8903f65e597f7d8cd81938dacc3/src/Text/Pandoc/Readers/Org/Inlines.hs#L362

> How do you combine them if "suppress author" is one of the "citation modes".
> Do
> citation modes apply on a reference, or a complete citation, which
> possibly contains multiple references?

Here's some pandoc markdown examples:

#+BEGIN_SRC
Blah [see @doeA, pp. 33-35; also @doeB, chap. 1].

Blah [@doeA, pp. 33-35, 38-39 and *passim*].

Blah [@doeA; @doeB].

Blah [-@doeA].

Blah [-@doeA; -@doeB].

Blah [-@doeA; @doeB].

@doeA and -@doeB
#+END_SRC

When exported to HTML, we get:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
Blah (see Doe 2018, 33–35, also 2017, chap. 1).

Blah (Doe 2018, 33–35, 38–39 and passim).

Blah (Doe 2018, 2017).

Blah (2018).

Blah (2018, 2017).

Blah (2018, 2017).

Doe (2018) and (2017)
#+END_EXAMPLE

The second to last one is interesting, because my understanding was
the suppress_author flag applies to the individual cite references,
rather than the complete citation.

But in the rendering, it's clear pandoc (I think appropriately)
applies it to both cites, and so the whole citation.

> Also, on a related subject, now I remember [@key] is not a shorthand for
> [cite:@key]; the former is meant as "author in text" style.

OK, sounds good.

Bruce