Re: Bug: org-with-wide-buffer is used in org-refile.el without (require

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Bug: org-with-wide-buffer is used in org-refile.el without (require 'org-macs) [9.3.6 (release_9.3.6-441-gba6855 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 03:22:45 +0000

Ihor Radchenko <address@hidden> writes:

> Recently, I ran into a problem compiling org-mode asynchronously with
> each .el file being compiled in a separate process (via
> native-compile-async).
> When I tried to compile org-refile.el in a separate Emacs process
> (without compiling all other .el files), there was no way for the
> byte-compiler to know that org-with-wide-buffer is a macro.

Thanks for the report.  Unfortunately, this is fallout from the movement
of some org.el components to org-refile.el in f636cf91b (New
org-refile.el file with refile definitions, 2020-02-05).

> As I understand, normally org-mode compiles synchronously with all the
> .el files being byte-compiled in alphabetic order. Then,
> (eval-and-compile (require 'org-macs)) from org.el is defined prior
> compiling all the org-*.el files, which accidentally allow the org-mode
> to be compiled without any issues.

There's also a 'make single' target that compiles files separately.  My
understanding is that ideally its output should be free of warnings.
Running that right before the commit above (f636cf91b^), there are a
couple of warnings (at least one now resolved).  There are a lot after,
including the one you mention.

There have been at least a couple of threads that bring up related
org-refile.el issues:

  - https://yhetil.org/orgmode/CAFyQvY1VR5t_a=address@hidden/
  - https://yhetil.org/orgmode/address@hidden/

So, there's a lot we need to fix here :/