Re: yhetil.org/orgmode now supports searching by Gmane ID

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: yhetil.org/orgmode now supports searching by Gmane ID
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 22:34:16 -0700

Kyle Meyer <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Kyle Meyer <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>>   $ w3m -m nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode/112052
>>>
>>> (Offhand I don't know how to do the same in Gnus, despite it being my
>>> primary method for following things over nntp.)
>>
>> I assume you can just use "j" in the summary buffer, and enter the
>> article number. Doing that for message 112052 got me message-id
>> "<address@hidden>", is that correct?
>
> That's the one.  Thanks!
>
> If you happen to know off the top of your head: Is there an easy way for
> me to jump to that article if I'm not subscribed to the
> gmane.emacs.orgmode group but have the nntp:news.gmane.io server set up
> (for other lists)?

Hmm, this isn't something I do very often, but I think if you make an
ephemeral group with either "B" or "G M" (the interfaces are different,
but I believe the result is the same) you can enter the group name,
specify that it should use your nntp:news.gmane.io server, then the
group will open and you can do the "j" trick. The group should disappear
from your Gnus installation when you're done with it. You could also
write your own wrapper around gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group.

It might take some experimentation!

Eric