Adaptive Org faces in headings?

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Adaptive Org faces in headings?
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 08:16:28 +0300

Dear all,

I have noticed that Org faces that combine with headings do not adapt to
their context.  This applies to keywords, priority cookies, links, and
possibly other elements as well.

For example, a "todo" keyword (`org-todo' face) will not scale in size
to match that of the heading level (`org-level-N' face) if the latter
uses a `:height' property.  Same principle for keywords not inheriting
the heading's background, overline, etc.

My expectation is to allow `org-level-N' to pass its attributes to any
element on the same line, unless that element has conflicting face
attributes of its own.  So, in my example, the heading could pass its
height to the "todo" keyword when the `org-todo' face does not define a
`:height' of its own.  Otherwise it would refrain from overriding that
attribute.

Does the community know of a solution to this issue?

I am running:

* Org mode version 9.3.

* GNU Emacs 27.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.17,
  cairo version 1.17.3) of 2020-04-20.

Best regards,
Protesilaos

--