Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org files: Do not use overlays for PROPERTY and LOGBOOK drawers
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 18:38:15 +0200

Ihor Radchenko <address@hidden> writes:

> If you want, I can test the file without :LOGBOOK: lines tomorrow.

Don't worry, it doesn't matter now.

> No, there are only 9 'outline overlays in the folded buffer if we do not
> create overlays for drawers. This is because outline-hide-sublevels
> called by org-overview is calling outline-flag-region on the whole
> buffer thus removing all the 'outline overlays in buffer
> (remove-overlays from to 'invisible 'outline) and re-creating a single
> overlay for each top-level heading.

You're talking about "overview" (org-overview), whereas I'm talking
about "contents view" (org-content). They are not the same. In the
latter, you show every headline in the buffer, so you have one overlay
per headline.

> Now, thinking second time about this, using the following for
> org-flag-region would achieve similar effect:
>
> (remove-overlays from to 'invisible 'outline)
> (remove-overlays from to 'invisible 'org-hide-drawer)
>
> Now sure if it is going to break org-cycle though.
> What do you think?

This is already the case. See first line of `org-flag-region'.

Regards,