Re: (Feature Request) have org-edit-special work inside non-environment

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: (Feature Request) have org-edit-special work inside non-environment LaTeX blocks, i.e. \( \) and \[ \]
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 09:47:23 +0200

Hello,

Timothy <address@hidden> writes:

> I love the first-class LaTeX support in Org-mode, and discovering that
> org-edit-special worked inside LaTeX environments was a joyous moment for me.
> Shortly after that though, I was disappoint to discover that this
> didn't work with inline LaTeX equations \( … \) or LaTeX display
> equations \[ … \]. If it would be possible to account for this form of
> LaTeX too, that would be marvellous!

Luckily, this is trivial to implement.

One needs to write a `org-edit-latex-fragment' function in "org-src.el",
which would be a mix between `org-edit-latex-environment' and
`org-edit-inline-src-code' (without all the Babel stuff).

The new function can then be installed in `org-edit-special' from
"org.el".

Unfortunately, no one so far volunteered to do it (*hint*).

> First email to this mailing list, so please let me know if I'm not
> quite following protocol or anything like that.

Welcome!

> I'm also a uni student a few weeks off from exams so I am not able to
> really need to resist the urge to jump in and work on implementing
> these ideas. I should have significantly more time late june though :)

Great. For non-trivial (more than 15 locs) contributions to Org mode
(and more generally, to GNU projects), you need to sign FSF papers. You
might want to consider signing them beforehand.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou