Re: (Feature Request) have org-edit-special work inside non-environment

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: (Feature Request) have org-edit-special work inside non-environment LaTeX blocks, i.e. \( \) and \[ \]
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:27:40 +0200

Timothy <address@hidden> writes:

>> It sounds like you took the opposite route. I suggested to first write a
>> function, `org-edit-latex-fragment'.
> I wanted to see how it would fit in first ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sure. That's a good way to learn stuff. In this case, it's not the
easiest one, though.

>> Once done, you can insert it in `org-edit-special', but it boils down to
>> adding a line there, right below (`inline-src-block ...):

> For that to work though, i.e. adding something of the form
> (latex-fragment ...) I'd want a `latex-fragment type to be returned
> from org-element-at-point wouldn't I?

This is already done a few lines above in `org-edit-special', when
`org-element-context' is called.

LaTeX fragments are at a lower level than plain "elements", so
`org-element-at-point' does not see them.

> At the moment running (org-element-at-point) inside \( … \) yields
> paragraph.

See above.

> Can I really get away without modifying anything more than org-edit-special
> and writing org-edit-latex-fragment ?

Yes, you (we) can!