Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...

From: briangpowell .
Subject: Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 17:28:42 -0400

Oh if you're talking about students that use a combo of Mac & Windows & Linux:

Suggest VirtualBox --its free and can be installed and ported to each

But VirtualBox is based largely on Qemu; and for students, I highly recommend they become adept at running and using Qemu

I've booted and run many different operating system guest systems using Qemu--even an OS written entirely in Assembler

Believe it would be loads of fun for students to load and run many different operating systems with Qemu or distributions of Linux or any OS on the fly

But back to our original focus: Running Emacs Org-Mode on a Virtual Machine that is extremely portable--you can do this with Qemu--you can make your own Linux distro with Emacs Org-mode, make an ISO, a .iso file and boot and run it with Qemu

You can put it all on a USB key and run it on any machine--and then edit the .iso and add software later if you like

But enough about Qemu for student education etc.

Suggest:

* Install VirtualBox {on all 2 operating systems

* Make an virtual machine {Linux or Windows--maybe Mac would be a problem--but I just checked--you could host a VirtualBox virtual machine on a Mac so they should be able to do that (I used to run VMWare every day on my mac and huge Mac servers--booted and ran many virtual machines--it was awesome)

* Install Emacs & Org-Mode on the VirtualBox virtual machine & show your students, etc.=> reproducible research computing, at its best!