Necessity of `org-fill-paragraph'

From: Dominik Schrempf
Subject: Necessity of `org-fill-paragraph'
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 14:04:29 +0200

Hello,

I am using a global keybinding for =M-q=, so that I can fill and unfill
paragraphs with one key stroke (unfill.el):

: (global-set-key (kbd "s-q") 'unfill-toggle)

For a long time, I thought that =fill-paragraph= was broken in Org mode, because
it doesn't work well on code blocks, on lists, and on many other things [1].
Just now, I realized that Org mode uses a specialized version of
`fill-paragraph`, called `org-fill-paragraph`.

Hence, the aforementioned global key binding breaks behavior in Org mode,
although the function =unfill-toggle= is just a wrapper around =fill-paragraph=.

Is it necessary to have the specialized function =org-fill-paragraph=? Is it
possible to use the canonical =fill-paragraph=?

Thanks,
Dominik

[1] https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/13384