tables, positioning of `#+Plot:' lines

From: Mario Frasca
Subject: tables, positioning of `#+Plot:' lines
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 14:49:43 -0500

I was wondering about the position of the `#+plot:' lines.  we have a table, and if we want to have formulas, we put these in a `#+TBLFM:' line following the table.  the documentation of org-plot states that `#+PLOT:' lines are looked for: following, or preceding the table, but then only the "preceding" strategy is implemented.  I tried just out of curiosity, what happens if I put my `#+PLOT:' lines following the table but before the `#+TBLFM:' line.  in this case also the `#+TBLFM:' line is not found.

I see a couple of problems with this approach and in the current implementation:

- only one single `#+TBLFM:' line is recognized, it must follow the table, there cannot be any other meta information in between the table and the `#+TBLFM:' line.

- other programs can't add meta information to the table, or must choose to stay after the `#+TBLFM:' line or before the `#+PLOT:' lines.

- you have meta information at the two ends of the table, instead of all on the same side.

I would like to implement the 'plot meta lines after the table', and some way to comment meta lines.

any thoughts?

my main doubt is that if we acknowledge meta lines at both ends, we end up with an unmanageable mess, where similar information can be very distant in the document.  I think it was a mistake to let PLOT directives be placed elsewhere than formulas, but I don't know if it's still worth changing this.

best regards, MF