ox-* vs org-* naming convention?

From: Diego Zamboni
Subject: ox-* vs org-* naming convention?
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 18:30:10 +0200

Hi,

I am working on submitting a new set of exporters I've been working on
(https://gitlab.com/zzamboni/ox-leanpub) to MELPA, and I received
feedback [1] about the discrepancy between the package names
(ox-leanpub-*) and the functions they define (org-leanpub-*). This is
also flagged by =package-lint=.

[1] https://github.com/melpa/melpa/pull/6942

I based these names on what I've observed in existing exporters - e.g.
ox-hugo, ox-latex, ox-reveal and most others define functions named
org-hugo-*, org-latex-*, org-reveal-* respectively.

I wouldn't mind renaming the package to org-leanpub, but I worry
whether this would affect its discoverability, and to diverge from
existing convention for exporter packages.

I would appreciate any feedback about this - what are strong arguments
for or against insisting in this convention vs just adapting to the
rules suggested by package-lint?

Thanks in advance,
--Diego