From: Kyle Meyer
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 06:17:04 +0000

[ adding Eric Wong back to the cc ]

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> Eric Wong <e@yhbt.net> writes:
>> Fwiw, I've been trying to avoid exposing NNTP article numbers in
>> the HTTP endpoint in favor of Message-IDs because serial numbers
>> aren't decentralization-friendly.  Of course, sometimes
>> Message-IDs get reused, so public-inbox will return all messages
>> which match a particular Message-ID in those rare cases.
>>
>> Btw, POST with the "&x=m" query parameter already allows search
>> to return a gzipped mboxrd.
>>
>> And also what I just wrote about about JMAP/GraphQL in the other
>> message.
>>
>> A read-only IMAP server is also coming with search support,
>> and IMAP UIDs will be equivalent to NNTP article numbers.
>
> Sounds like something in there is bound to work! IMAP might be best --
> while it's certainly possible to do Message-ID<->article number lookups,
> that will slow Gnus down further, and it's already fairly slow.
>
> Thanks again,
> Eric

Here are the recent patches that Eric sent out related to the read-only
IMAP server:

  https://public-inbox.org/meta/20200610070519.18252-1-e@yhbt.net

It's already available at <imaps://news.public-inbox.org/>.  I've played
around with that a bit in Mutt and Gnus, and it seems to work nicely.
As I mentioned before, I don't really search much in Gnus, but I tried
some basic queries via GG and the results looked reasonable.

I set this up for news.yhetil.org tonight.  Here's what I used to test
it out:

;; Set so that all groups/folders aren't subscribed and synced.  Think
;; I should be able to prevent that with `gnus-options-not-subscribe'
;; or `gnus-auto-subscribed-groups', but didn't have any luck.
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "news.yhetil.org"
                                  ;; no certs yet
                                  (nnimap-stream plain)))