Re: multiple EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER lines

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: multiple EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER lines
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 14:03:23 -0400

Dominik Schrempf <dominik.schrempf@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> are you looking for, e.g.,
>
> #+latex_header: \addbibresource{bibliography.bib}
> #+latex_header_extra: do some stuff
> #+latex_header_extra: and even more
>
> I don't use the EXPORT keyword at the beginning, I am not sure if it is
> needed.
>
> Best,
> Dominik

Just as a clarification: the "_extra" here does not mean "append to previous
value".

The only difference between "#+latex_header: " and #+latex_header_extra: " is
that anything specified in the former is *also* used when constructing the
header
for the LaTeX file for previewing LaTeX fragments, whereas anything specified
in the
latter is only used when exporting: it is not used when previewing.

See

    (info "(org) LaTeX header and sectioning")

which says:

,----
|    The LaTeX export back-end appends values from ‘LATEX_HEADER’ and
| ‘LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA’ keywords to the LaTeX header.  The docstring for
| ‘org-latex-classes’ explains in more detail.  Also note that LaTeX
| export back-end does not append ‘LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA’ to the header when
| previewing LaTeX snippets (see *note Previewing LaTeX fragments::).
`----

and the code in ox-latex.el:org-latex-make-preamble.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler