From: Kyle Meyer
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 03:01:44 +0000

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> Hey, that works great! It's a bit weird that it still asks for a
> username and password, I wonder if there's any way to skip that. I've
> never dealt with anonymous IMAP before -- is there anything in the
> connection process that explicitly tells us "you don't need to log on"?

The server advertises AUTH=ANONYMOUS as a capability [*], so Gnus could
detect that and send "AUTHENTICATE ANONYMOUS", I _think_.

[*] https://public-inbox.org/meta/20200610070519.18252-1-e@yhbt.net/

> Otherwise, I guess it doesn't hurt just to save a bogus
> username/password and forget about it.

Yeah, I went with that approach.  But poking around a bit in nnimap.el,
it seems another option would be

    (nnimap "news.yhetil.org"
            (nnimap-authenticator anonymous))