Re: Bug: Inconsistent formatting when terminating bold inside a link [9.

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Bug: Inconsistent formatting when terminating bold inside a link [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /usr/share/emacs/27.0.91/lisp/org/)]
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 15:57:16 +0200

Hello,

"Tom Alexander" <tom@fizz.buzz> writes:

> When you have a section of bold text that ends inside a link, for example:
>
>   *can you [[http://foo.bar/][terminate *bolds* inside]] links*
>
> Inside emacs it bolds the text "can you terminate bolds" and represents
> "terminate *bolds* inside" as a link, but if you export to any non-text
> format (I tested html, LaTeX to PDF, and ODT) then it breaks the link
> exporting the raw org-mode link syntax.
>
> Expected behavior: I see three options.

There is only one option, per Org syntax.

> 3. or the emacs rendering can be updated to accurately reflect the
> link being broken as it currently is in the exported output.

The link is broken. The fontification is at fault here. This is because
its implementation cannot understand fully the syntax(!). So, you'll
encounter some glitches like this one from time to time.

Patches welcome, of course. However, the fontification will never be
perfect unless its internals are rewritten.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou