Re: Spurious comma after C-c '

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: Spurious comma after C-c '
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 12:53:11 +0100

    > Hello, Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

    >> 1. Use `emacs -q' and open a new org file. 2. Enter
    >>
    >> #+begin_example
    >>
    >> #+end_example
    >>
    >> 3. Place cursor in the empty line of the example block and hit
    >> C-c ' 4. Enter #+STARTUP in the edit buffer and hit C-c ' to exit
    >> 5. A spurious comma appears at the beginning of #+STARTUP 6. The
    >> comma appears to form only when + is entered after #, so #STARTUP
    >> produces no comma. The STARTUP entry is unimportant and #+ alone
    >> also gives a comma.  7. I'm using Org mode version 9.3.7
    >> (release_9.3.7-669-g3327fb)

    > This is an escape character. See (info "(org) Literal Examples").

Well, yes. But should it really be in an "example" source block? If this
is then exported and the author hasn't caught and deleted it, then it is
likely to cause confusion in the mind of the final reader - who may
know nothing about org-mode.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8
The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people to sit
quietly in their rooms.  Blaise Pascal, 1670
Since mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not
understand it myself. A. Einstein