Re: Binding RET to org-return-and-maybe-indent

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: Binding RET to org-return-and-maybe-indent
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 08:55:14 +0300

Hello Kévin.

Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com> writes:

> RET indentation is something that has been introduced recently on the
> master branch (which will become Org 9.4 soon).  In Org 9.3, with your
> example, RET does not indent, while C-j does.

I was wondering why this bothered me! Such a little thing can have a
drastic effect on your workflow when it is repeated so many times.

> As ORG-NEWS notes, if you want RET to stop indenting, you can disable
> electric-indent-mode in org-mode-hook:

Thanks, I now located this feature change description in ORG-NEWS.

>> But would changing the binding of RET cause issues elsewhere?
>
> I can't think of any bad side-effect, but my imagination might be
> lacking.  The only downside I can think of is that RET will become
> redundant with C-j.

Now I have two options. I will start by disabling electric-indent-mode
in org. If that causes weird side effects, then I will rebind RET.

Thank you for your most complete answer.

All the best, and stay safe.

Jarmo