Re: Waiting for refresh to finish...

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Waiting for refresh to finish...
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 19:27:42 +0200

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 07:13:42PM +0200, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> Thanks  for your  help,  Tomas,  here is  the  beginning  of my  init.el
> (suggestions to improve it are of course welcome):

Caveat: as I said, I'm most probably not the right guy to answer that, but
hey.

[...]

> ;; Configure Emacs package manager. Not required anymore on Emacs > 27
> (if (version< emacs-version "27")
>                                         (package-initialize)  )
> (require 'package)
> (setq package-archives
>       '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/";)
>         ("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/";)
>         ("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/";)
>        ; ("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)
>       ))

This might be the relevant tidbit. But still, we don't know what version
your Emacs is, and thus whether this code is actually relevant or not.

What is the actual value of your variable `package-archives' in your
Emacs running instance? Try doing C-h v and then enter `package-archives'.

Are those sites reachable from your place? I.e. try something like

  curl -I https://stable.melpa.org/packages/

in a shell (likewise for the other URLs). For me, they are all four.
We still don't know whether those are the ones your Emacs is trying
to reach (and the hunch with networking is just that, a hunch).

Cheers
-- t