Re: Repeating task hourly

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: Repeating task hourly
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 13:29:20 -0300

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 12:41, Kevin Liu <kevin@nivekuil.com> wrote:

The graph works for hourly repeaters in exactly the same way as it works in all other cases. It illustrates whether the task was done on a given
day.

But what will happen is that the task will be both "done" and "due" on the same day. Which face shall org-habit use? Which symbol? The task will be shown in the agenda, all right, whether the consistency graph is meaningful is another matter.

As Kyle mentioned, I don't think authorial intent counts for a whole lot
here since the code was last touched in 2009, years before hourly
repeaters were added.

I'm not so sure. Take a look at commit be2806d281 "Fixes to the consistency graph in org-habit", by John Wiegley, in 2009-10-22.

There the following error check was then introduced:

   (unless (> sr-days 0)
     (error "Habit's scheduled repeat period is less than 1d"))

Considering `sr-days' was then let-bound with:

   (scheduled-repeat (org-get-repeat "SCHEDULED"))
   (sr-days (org-habit-duration-to-days scheduled-repeat))

And that `org-habit-duration-to-days' performs its conversion of the repeaters to days with `floor', I'd say it is pretty deliberate. If this was before the introduction of hourly repeaters, I'd take this to be even more meaningful, not less.

Best,
Gustavo.