Re: Bug: no math-mode detection for align-environment [9.3.7 (9.3.7-13-g

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Bug: no math-mode detection for align-environment [9.3.7 (9.3.7-13-ge62ca4-elpaplus @ /home/stefi/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200713/)]
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 23:44:29 -0400

Stefi writes:

> Hi Kyle, hi mailing list,
>
> I also evaluated (org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p) and got non-nil values
> for all blocks, however, inside the align* environment, the "fr" does
> not get expanded on TAB whereas it does in equation environment. So
> either the matchers do not include align/align*, or there is something
> different now with cdlatex.

I'm leaning towards there being something different with cdlatex.

I've now installed cdlatex from
<https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/c.dominik/Tools/cdlatex/cdlatex.el>.  The
file header says the version is 4.8, and the file's md5sum is
9246a4e9f30c9589406783ffd5270641.

I tried your example file with this minimal configuration:

    (require 'org)
    (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda () (org-cdlatex-mode 1)))
    (require 'edebug)
    (edebug-instrument-function 'org-try-cdlatex-tab)

As you and Rafael report, "fr => \frac{}{}" is not expanded in the align
or align* environments, while it is expanded in the equation
environment.  However, stepping through the org-try-cdlatex-tab call,
cdlatex-tab is called in all cases.  So it would seem that something has
changed downstream.

In line with this idea, I observed the same behavior with both the
latest commit of the master branch (cdfc404be) and v9.2 (released in Dec
2018).  Also, as I mentioned in earlier in the thread, I don't see any
recent changes on Org's side related to the cdlatex functionality.