Re: Headline generation as in diary?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: Headline generation as in diary?
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 16:10:10 +0100

On Tuesday,  1 Sep 2020 at 16:34, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> I would like to use my org file to specify those things instead of
> maintaining a second file (the diary file).  But AFAIK the dynamically
> created headline part is tricky: what appears in the agenda is always
> the org headline as it appears in the file, right?

No, not necessarily.  I have entries like this:

%%(diary-anniversary 1981 03 17) Somebody's birthday (%d years)

and the agenda view shows "Somebody's birthday (19 years)"; the actual
heading for this entry is ignored.  In fact, I have a large number of
such entries all in the same headline.

However, I don't know if other diary- functions work the same way.

> Or do I miss something?  How to other people deal with things
> like...garbage collection?

I use the org-recur [1] package for this.  Very nice for repeating
events.

HTH,
eric

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/m-cat/org-recur

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.7-725-g7bc18e