Re: Headline generation as in diary?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Headline generation as in diary?
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 18:10:44 +0200

    Michael> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
    >> No, not necessarily.  I have entries like this:
    >>
    >> %%(diary-anniversary 1981 03 17) Somebody's birthday (%d years)
    >>
    >> and the agenda view shows "Somebody's birthday (19 years)"; the actual
    >> heading for this entry is ignored.

    Michael> Where in an entry do you specify such specifications?

Below the headline, after the properties.

    >> However, I don't know if other diary- functions work the same way.

They do, although there are org- versions of most (all?) of them that
you should use, since they consistently use ISO8601 date order,
unlike the diary functions. The manual is a bit lacking in this area,
I think.

    Michael> Yes, the interesting part then is: when does org behave like this,
and
    Michael> can this behavior be forced?

Itʼs triggered by the %%(, I believe, but not in headlines. You can
use them in timestamps as well, which is useful for weird time periods

**  Just before midnight on a few days 23:00-24:00
<%%(org-block 2020 8 31 2020 9 2)>
<%%(org-block 2020 9 10 2020 9 12)>

Robert