Re: Release 9.3.8

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Release 9.3.8
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 19:45:04 +0200

Hi Kévin,

Yes.  See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintainance.html

> - Will Emacs's maintenance branch (emacs-27) be updated with Org 9.3.8,
>   so that Emacs 27.2 includes all bugfixes for 9.3?  (If so, I can open
>   a new report on Debbugs to track this, as suggested by Stefan K.)

Yes, thanks.

> - During the development of 9.4, AFAICT, while the "Version:" comment in
>   org.el sayd "9.4-dev", the org-version variable matched the latest
>   tag, i.e. 9.3.x.
>
>   I therefore couldn't figure out a way to check for 9.4
>   programmatically.

... because 9.4 is not yet released - or am I missing something?

> Would it make sense to:
>
>     - set a "release_x.(y+1)-rc" tag on master once version "x.y" is
>       released and goes in the maint branch,
>
>     - in targets.mk, when computing ORGVERSION, add "--first-parent" to
>       "git describe", so that org-version matches this rc-tag when
>       compiling Org's master branch?

On what commit would I add the "release_x.(y+1)-rc" on master, since
master is always moving forward?

I would like to keep things simple here: let's have annotated tags for
releases and... master.

Let me know if I miss a very obvious use-case for a better setup.

--
 Bastien