Re: setting up 'imenu'

From: Jeremie Juste
Subject: Re: setting up 'imenu'
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 11:33:48 +0200

Hello Sharon,

I must have failed to grasp the subtleties of your workflow. And my
explanation was surely not very friendly. I apologize for that.

If your workflow works for you this is what matters.
> Sorry, but I just feel that your system is over-complicated as compared
> to my simplistic way!

I cannot reproduce your error right now. But I would suggest a test.

If you start emacs without any configuration, on the command line
> emacs -Q

Then execute the code below. Does ido-goto-symbol work as you expect?

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
 (defun ido-goto-symbol (&optional symbol-list)
      "Refresh imenu and jump to a place in the buffer using Ido."
      (interactive)
      (unless (featurep 'imenu)
        (require 'imenu nil t))
      (cond
       ((not symbol-list)
        (let ((ido-mode ido-mode)
              (ido-enable-flex-matching
               (if (boundp 'ido-enable-flex-matching)
                   ido-enable-flex-matching t))
              name-and-pos symbol-names position)
          (unless ido-mode
            (ido-mode 1)
            (setq ido-enable-flex-matching t))
          (while (progn
                   (imenu--cleanup)
                   (setq imenu--index-alist nil)
                   (ido-goto-symbol (imenu--make-index-alist))
                   (setq selected-symbol
                         (ido-completing-read "Symbol? " symbol-names))
                   (string= (car imenu--rescan-item) selected-symbol)))
          (unless (and (boundp 'mark-active) mark-active)
            (push-mark nil t nil))
          (setq position (cdr (assoc selected-symbol name-and-pos)))
          (cond
           ((overlayp position)
            (goto-char (overlay-start position)))
           (t
            (goto-char position)))))
       ((listp symbol-list)
        (dolist (symbol symbol-list)
          (let (name position)
            (cond
             ((and (listp symbol) (imenu--subalist-p symbol))
              (ido-goto-symbol symbol))
             ((listp symbol)
              (setq name (car symbol))
              (setq position (cdr symbol)))
             ((stringp symbol)
              (setq name symbol)
              (setq position
                    (get-text-property 1 'org-imenu-marker symbol))))
            (unless (or (null position) (null name)
                        (string= (car imenu--rescan-item) name))
              (add-to-list 'symbol-names name)
              (add-to-list 'name-and-pos (cons name position))))))))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c i") 'ido-goto-symbol) ; or any key you see fit
   #+end_src

Best regards,

Jeremie