changelog entry via Magit (was Bug: Typo in archive location example in

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: changelog entry via Magit (was Bug: Typo in archive location example in manual)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 12:54:07 -0400

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> By the way, do you know how to automatically format changelog entries in
> magit. The suggestion from contribute page seems outdated (or I miss
> something):
>
>> If you are using magit.el in Emacs, the ChangeLog for such entries are
>> easily produced by pressing C in the diff listing.

Hmm, that's what I use.  If you go to the diff buffer that (by default)
is popped up while committing [*], hitting C (magit-commit-add-log) on a
hunk should add an entry to the commit message buffer.

What happens on your end?  (And what version of Magit are you using?)

  [*] I haven't followed it closely, but Noam Postavsky has worked on
      improving changelog generation in Emacs (shipped with Emacs 27, I
      believe) and then using that in Magit (in-flight PR).  IIUC the
      end result is that the full changelog skeleton could be inserted
      by calling a single command from the commit message buffer.  (And
      calling the command manually could be avoided by adding it to
      git-commit-setup-hook.)

      https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16301#11
      https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/2931
      https://github.com/magit/magit/pull/3928