Re: Getting Org-Crypt to work (doc bug?)

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: Getting Org-Crypt to work (doc bug?)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 10:42:57 +0200

Hi David,
* David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> [2020-09-13; 17:11]:
> Yes, gpg-agent is installed and appears to have been started in
> background.  My O/S is Debian on a Chromebook.
>
> I start Emacs via 'xterm -e emacs' and just noticed (thanks to you) that
> I'm getting a textual popup on the xterm asking for the
> passphrase. Given that, everything works.
>
> So, you're saying that the textual popup is the correct mechanism for
> getting the passphrase?

That's one possible way.  If you want to have a graphical
dialog box, check which pinentry packages are installed:

$ dpkg -l '*pinentry*'
||/ Name            Version      Architecture Description
+++-===============-============-============-======================================================
un  pinentry        <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  pinentry-curses 1.1.0-2      amd64        curses-based PIN or pass-phrase
entry dialog for GnuPG
ii  pinentry-doc    1.1.0-2      all          documentation for pinentry
packages
un  pinentry-gnome3 <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  pinentry-gtk2   <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  pinentry-qt     1.1.0-2      amd64        Qt-based PIN or pass-phrase entry
dialog for GnuPG
un  pinentry-qt4    <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  pinentry-x11    <none>       <none>       (no description available)

as you see, at my system, there are two pinentry packages
installed (besides the docs): pinentry-curses for terminal
while pinentry-qt provides a graphical dialog box.  I choose
pinentry-qt, because it had fewer dependencies and was
smaller than the other options.

If your system lacks a graphical pinentry, install one.

Ciao; Gregor
--