Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org files: Do not use overlays for PROPERTY and LOGBOOK drawers
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:16:59 +0200

>>> then M-x toggle-debug-on-error and M-: (org-make-manuals), but I can't
>>> get a stacktrace.  I'm guessing this is because this error (which IIUC
>>> originates from org-back-to-heading in org.el) is a user-error; however,
>>> if I change the function to raise a "regular error", then everything
>>> compiles fine… 😕
>>
>> I suspect that you forgot to run =make clean= (to remove old untracked
>> .elc files).
>
> I was wrong. It was actually a problem with org-back-to-heading. Should
> be fixed now.

Thanks!  The new patch applies cleanly (to aea1109ef), and "make" runs
to completion.

I have seen no obvious breakage so far; I'll make sure to report if
anything funny shows up.

Apologies for maybe changing the subject, but earlier this summer you
mentioned[1] you were working on a patch to the folding system that
would fix an issue I have[2] with LOGBOOKs since 9.4.  AFAICT the patch
you are sharing now does not fix that; is this issue still on your
radar?

At any rate, thank you for your work!

[1] https://orgmode.org/list/87r1ts3s8r.fsf@localhost/
[2] https://orgmode.org/list/87eepuz0bj.fsf@gmail.com/

    tl;dr even with #+STARTUP: overview, isearching opens all logbooks
    near search results, even though there are no matches inside
    logbooks themselves.