Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?

From: stardiviner
Subject: Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 22:34:27 +0800

Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> more than one clock can be useful, but maybe need not be org-related,
>> even if that would be nice?  for example, your laundry is due in 45m,
>> tea will be steeped in 8m, etc.
> for that exactly that use case ;) I have a small shell script that
> creates at jobs and pops up a msg box when laundry is due. With an elisp
> wrapper it's easy to M-x it from Emacs. Nothing fancy or elaborated, but
> it works for me.

Like this, you're just using system. Not Org Mode. Clock need to clock specific
headline tasks or something else. Well, sure, if user in similar case, of course
can use shell script, that will be more convenient.

Anyone would also like to add this feature?

# ==============================================================================

I've looked command ~org-clock-in~ source code around, I summarized some parts
might related or be affected:

- clock under different headlines for multiple clocking.
- clock in org-agenda buffer should similar as above.
- clock in/out hooks should still working as before.
- the mode-line lighter of displaying clock need to be changed (my idea is use
  mouse hover to display all running clocks in Emacs tooltip).

# ==============================================================================

Here is some thought about how to implement it, just some thought, not code
prototype.
(Copied text from my previous message, and added something.)

- Most clock commands I uses is clocking from headline on in org-agenda, or even
  from org-capture. Then clock out. If support multiple simultaneous clocks.
  Then might need to use some extra arguments like headline location. About
  this, I think should not be much complexity.
- Need to use different variable to maintain all running clocks.
- If there are some case have not considered, can also be supported for new
feature.
- maybe the mode-line clocking might need to adjusted. Anyone have good idea?
  + If only one clock, then display clocking task tile.
  + If have more than one clocks, then display clock numbers?
  + Use mouse-hover tooltip to display currently all running clocks.
- But this new feature will bring more usage benefits. Like time tracking on
  different tasks; project top-level headline and sub-task simultaneous clocking
  for projects; and more accurate time statistics output on time-block etc. Also
  user can start new clock without interrupt old clock, for example, user
  defined an org-capture template will auto start a clock, but don't want to
  interrupt current clock.

After this think over, I might want to take a try.

I will dig deeper in source code. Come back later.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3