Re: Proposal: do not align tags in Agenda

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Proposal: do not align tags in Agenda
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 23:36:06 -0400

Michaël Cadilhac writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a wide screen, which makes right edge alignment of tags in the
> agenda inconvenient (they're hard to match with the main entry).
> Setting org-agenda-tags-column to a specific column overwrites part of
> the entry, which is not optimal.  I'd simply want the tag to be put
> _after_ the entry.

Hmm, I don't think it's supposed to overwrite part of the entry.  I
haven't been able to trigger that on my end.  Here's the setup I tried
with an otherwise vanilla configuration:

    (setq org-agenda-files (list "/tmp/scratch.org"))
    (setq org-agenda-tags-column 25)

where /tmp/scratch.org looks like this

    * TODO foo bar baz
:one:
    * TODO b
:two:

When I run org-todo-list, the longer top entry isn't overwritten:

    Global list of TODO items of type: ALL
    Press ‘N r’ (e.g. ‘0 r’) to search again: (0)[ALL] (1)TODO (2)DONE
      scratch:    TODO foo bar baz :one:
      scratch:    TODO b     :two:

What am I missing?