Re: Bug: Can’t assign to hline relative reference

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: Bug: Can’t assign to hline relative reference
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 19:04:39 +0700

Dante Catalfamo wrote:
In the case where I'm using this formula, there are many more rows
between @I..@II. I only used two in the example to keep the email small.
I would also be adding more rows regularly, making it slightly
impractical to be adjusting the beginning and end points of the formula
every time I add or remove a row. I appreciate your suggestion, though I
was hoping for a more convenient solution. If nothing else works, that's
what I'll do.

You are not alone. From my point of view it is not clear enough from org manual that @I references could be used only to the right of "=". The error message was a bad surprize. Another similar pitfal was with named columns.

However in some cases @<< (unlike @2 remains unchanged if a new line is added before second row) and @>> could be a workaround. If there are several horizontal lines, sometimes it is possible to mark particular lines with # and use e.g. $3=vsum(@-I$-1..@+I$-1) to avoid proliferation of same formulas for each table section.