Re: official orgmode parser

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: official orgmode parser
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 04:23:51 -0700

Hello,

On 2020-09-23 at 01:09 -07, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote...
> I disagree that a parser is too difficult to maintain because Org is a
> moving target. Org core syntax is not moving anymore, a parser can
> reasonably target it. That's what is done with the Ruby parser, in use
> in this small project called github.com :)

Do you think it would be useful (or possible) to represent the current Org
syntax in EBNF form so that people can use the EBNF to build parsers or
graphically understand the form? I'm thinking of a nice page of railroad
diagrams from this tool: https://github.com/GuntherRademacher/rr

I question if this is possible because EBNF is for context-free grammars, but I
*think* Org syntax is context-free. Even if not, I think those railroad
diagrams might be useful for parser-writers and can still describe 99 % of the
syntax, even if a few extra sentences are needed to clarify some edge case.

  -k.