Re: best practices query: non-emacs packages based on tangled source

From: TRS-80
Subject: Re: best practices query: non-emacs packages based on tangled source
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 14:09:06 -0400

On 2020-10-15 14:11, Greg Minshall wrote:

if anyone has any techniques they've used, liked (or hated), i'd
love to hear.

I am someone who keeps my Emacs config in a literate style in blocks
within an Orgmode outline.  And I enjoy it!

However I somewhat recently came across a project that was developed
with a literate paradigm.  It was an immediate turn off for me.
Because now in addition to learning someone else's code, I have to
learn how their brain works, how they organized the file, etc.  It
just added another layer of complexity on top of something that is
already potentially complex (the code itself).

Maybe I was just immediately soured because I didn't like their
formatting (not leaving enough spaces where I would have, etc.) or how
they organized the project.  And I probably didn't give it a fair
shake if I'm being honest.  But I don't have a lot of time, and things
like that just create too much friction (IMO) when I was only slightly
motivated to make a contribution in the first place.

And remember what I said at first, I am someone who appreciates the
literate paradigm (at least for my own config).  Imagine how someone
who does not even know who Knuth is would feel about it.

Therefore, any stuff I plan on releasing publicly, I do not do in
literate style (JMHO).  However if you are dead set on doing literate
paradigm, then maybe my experience is invalid for your use-case.

Cheers,

TRS-80