Tables: missing multi-col/row syntax

From: TEC
Subject: Tables: missing multi-col/row syntax
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 02:14:33 +0800

Hi all,

This is a pretty major 'feature request', but I think also an important
one.

When developing large tables, it can often be /necessary/ to start using multi-column/row cells for clarity, and sensible exporting results.

As far as I am aware, in Org does not currently have any multi-col/row syntax. The only viable method seems to be re-implementing the table using export blocks in every backend you may want to export to (in my case, usually TeX + HTML). This is clumsy, difficult to work with, and
could be avoided should org gain support for multi-col/row syntax.

I appreciate that this would constitute a major change both the Org's syntax and the codebase, but I believe such a change is warranted by the
advantages it would provide.

Both how this can be implemented while minimising/eliminating the chance of breaking well-formed current table elements, and what syntax may be
both acceptable and seem sensible to use.

I would anticipate such a feature working by designating two characters to indicate "add row" and "add column". For example "|" and "-". These characters would take affect when /immediately following/ (no space) a cell separator ("|"), and designate the dimensions of the top right cell.

Example:
| a | b | c |
|---+---+---|
| a | - | | |
| - | b | . |
| . | | | c |

Would be interpreted just as any current table is.

However,

| hello | there | you  |
|-------+-------+------|
|| two column   | cell |

Contains a 2x1 cell.

| a little | test |
|----------+------|
|- hello   | hi   |
| two row  | you  |

Contains a 1x2 cell. In a more complex example:

| a | b | c |
| two x | . |
| three | b |

Contains a 2x3 cell.

This is just the first syntax that comes to mind, but hopefully the
general form of this idea seems viable.

All the best,

Timothy.