Re: Bug: Off-by-one when archiving to top level date [9.3.6 (9.3.6-17-g3

From: Charles Tam
Subject: Re: Bug: Off-by-one when archiving to top level date [9.3.6 (9.3.6-17-g389288-elpa @ /home/charlestam/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20200224/)]
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 03:20:44 -0500

Wow it's been a while. Sorry I dropped this!

To reproduce the bug, open the following content in `emacs -q` and run org-archive-subtree on the TEST ITEM:

#+COMMENT: Local Variables:
#+COMMENT: mode: org
#+COMMENT: org-archive-location: "::datetree/"
#+COMMENT: org-odd-levels-only: t
#+COMMENT: End:

* TEST ITEM

You can check that the indentation of the TEST ITEM is more correct if you set org-odd-levels-only to nil. More weirdness also happens if you set org-archive-location to "::datetree/* Archive Header" (while org-odd-levels-only is t).

Charles

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 5:44 AM Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
Hi Charles,

sorry for the late feedback.

Charles Tam <me@charlest.net> writes:

> I am archiving subtrees of my main Orgmode document to a top-level
> datetree in a secondary file. When I do so, I expect something like
> the following:
>
> * 2020
> *** 2020-02 February  (org-odd-levels-only t)
> ***** 2020-02-27 Thursday
> ******* Archived Item
>
> But instead I get
>
> * 2020
> *** 2020-02 February
> ***** 2020-02-27 Thursday
> ***** Archived Item
>
> The archived item ends up as a sibling of the targeted date, instead
> of a child. This seems incorrect.

What command or keybinding do you use when archiving?

Can you provide a minimal step-by-step recipe to reproduce this bug
with emacs -q ?

Thanks,

--
 Bastien