Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 13:37:01 +0300

hi, all.

David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I crazy to say that your last example of unwanted behavior is
> easier for me to read and understand? (and to me the common
> indenting is a hopeless mess?)

yes, in fact, the "new" way sort of has the buffer indentation match
that of the outline structure of the file (specified by asterisks).
there's a lot to be said for that.  (though, obviously, it's not what
everyone would want.)

if the new mode stays as the standard, maybe we'd want to capture an
asterisk typed immediately after a newline that would (by default), put
that line-beginning asterisk back in column one?

otherwise, this is what one gets (without remembering to do a C-j
instead of <RET>):
-----
* i wanted a headline<RET>
  * i wanted a subhead, but it's ignored by org mode
-----
which is maybe not optimal?

in most non-org modes (including in Org Src... buffers, and in org files
when writing org-mode lists), i'm a big fan of electric indent mode.

maybe an org-specific setting, "org-file-indent-follows-structure"?  if
true, it means the user wants to have a "raw" org document laid out
according to the outline structure of the document.  if false, it means
one, in general, wants the org file laid out with left-alignment (or,
right, in right-to-left) languages (not including embedded lists, and
whatever else i might be ignoring).

cheers, Greg