Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 08:15:18 +0100

Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com> writes:
> Before being applied, this change has been discussed on emacs-devel and
> emacs-orgmode; it has then been documented in ORG-NEWS.  Which other
> places do you think we should have reached out to?

I don’t think you really had a chance to reach enough people. I’m here
on the list now because I got a note about the call for help from a
colleague at work. Before that I was simply happy that most things
worked, wrote the occassional M-x org-submit-bug-report (actually with
Ido: M-x org-bug) and dug through emacswiki or the web when something
didn’t work. When missing names for some annoyance, I couldn’t do much
about it, because I couldn’t search for it.

Changes like these which affect existing behavior are just really hard
to do in a way that doesn’t create problems.

There’s a deep challenge hidden beneath this which Steve Losh wrote
masterfully about:
https://stevelosh.com/blog/2012/04/volatile-software/

Best wishes,
Arne