Re: S-RET

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: S-RET
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 13:37:41 -0500

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

>> you can find a lot of functions like the ones in jupyter at
>> https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax/blob/master/scimax-ob.el. I setup my
>> ipython like this:
>> https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax/blob/master/scimax-org-babel-ipython-upstream.el#L89
>>
>> although I will note there are several setups in that file, e.g. this
>> hydra:
>> https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax/blob/master/scimax-org-babel-ipython-upstream.el#L271
>> …
>> I don't use them all, but leave them to remind me sometimes.
>
> Thanks, the number of supported features is impressive!
>
> I see that the file name contains the word 'upstream'.  This implies a set
> of patches to upstream modules.  Are there any plans to submit upstream
> at least some of the most often used commands that correspond to
> basic Jupyter shortcuts?

The upstream refers to org-babel-ipython. These libraries build on and
extend that. I don't have any plans to push them upstream, I think the
future will be with emacs-jupyter instead, but I haven't had time to
transition to it.

> For example, it would make sense to bring scimax-execute-and-next-block
> under the org-babel namespace as e.g.
> org-babel-execute-src-block-and-next-block
> in the upstream ob-core.el.  Then S-RET will be available to other ob backends
> (such as ob-ruby.el that I use often too.)

I alot of these make sense for general babel use I think. My time for
development work has mostly vanished now, and it is not clear when it
will come back. If anyone wants to push these into ob-core.el, I have no
objections.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F